Currently on the painting table

On the painting table: Batman Miniature Game!

Thursday, June 21, 2012

List Building With the New Toys

I am smack dab in the middle of my work week so I have had minimal progression on the painting front. I hope to grab a solid hour or two today to try and finsih up the Sons of Bragg. I have been playing with my iBodger app non-stop over the last few days building lists to use the Sons of Bragg, Horthol, long riders, and war wagon. I was pleased with the Sons on Saturday's ACM tourney and really want to keep putting them out there to truly get a feel for them. Saturday's tourney also reminded my how much I enjoy playing games with Jarl......so with that in mind I built a list jamming in all of the minis I could fit

Jarl Skuld, Devil Of Thornwood (*6pts)
* Troll Impaler (5pts)
* Dire Troll Bomber (10pts)
* Trollkin Runebearer (2pts)
Sons of Bragg (6pts)
Trollkin Long Riders (Leader and 4 Grunts) (11pts)
Horthol, Long Rider Hero (5pts)

The low model count is a little worrisome for me but I think (despite never playing the LR/Horthol) it has the potential to play well. I anticipate putting quicken on the long riders putting them up to SPD 9 DEF 14 and putting weald secrets on the Sons of Bragg to help mitigate terrain and give them a little DEF if I can get them proper cover/concealment. I have a hard time playing Jarl w/o the runebearer cause of all the upkeeps and wanting to get as many uses of magic bullet as possible. The bomber/impaler combo goes together like peanut butter and jelly and I have a hard time not taking them whenever I play Jarl. I suppose I should try out some other beat combos but really like this one with him.

As you can see this list leaves me 2pts left to play with for a solo of my choice. I am going back and forth on model selection right now and it is between

Alten Ashley (2pts)
Stone Scribe Chronicler (2pts)

I am torn on which way to go here. I love Alten even if I am not playing a Hordes faction. Since I play with the impaler putting far strike on him gives me a MAT 8 RNG 18 POW 12 sniper for picking off solos and targets of choice and if my opponent is playing a Hordes faction even better time to go beast hunting. The SSC, on the other hand, has some really nice synergy with this list. The ability to give one unit concealment allows me to get the quickened long riders up to DEF 16 on the approach and if I choose to put his buff on the weald secreted SoB they will be looking at a +4 DEF bonus no matter where they are on the battlefield and potentially +6 DEF if I can get behind a wall.

The second list I have been toying around with is a Calandra list. This list is definitely a little goofy but I am curious how it will play. This is what I am looking at:

Caladra Truthsayer, Oracle of the Glimerwood (*5pts)
* Troll Impaler (5pts)
* Dire Troll Bomber (10pts)
Kriel Warriors (Leader and 5 Grunts) (4pts)
*Kriel Caber Thrower (1pt) x2
*Kriel Warrior Standard Bearer and Piper (2pts)
Sons of Bragg (6pts)
Trollkin Runeshapers (4pts)
Trollkin Runeshapers (4pts)
Janissa Stonetide (3pts)

I built this list for two reasons. First I have been wanting to play some more Calandra but avoid the dygs of doom because even though I love them my opponents don't always love them. The second reason is to use the runeshapers. I bought the extra runeshapers right after getting back from the Conquest Toronto trip to play the pDoomie theme for but since Flanzer just won LnL masters with that list I don't want to feel like I am just jumping on the band wagon. Seeing ast the minis are damn expensive better find another use for them. This list gives me a ton of AOEs which have the potential to be pretty scary on the feat turn and the re-roll have a better chance of netting me those crit KDs.

I hope to get out to the FLGS next week to get a game or two in and I hope to try out these two lists. I need to get the long riders and Horthol far enough along that I can finish the assembly process so I might not have them ready but we will see. I have two different 50pt lists in mind for the war wagon but this has gotten long so I will babble about that another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment