Currently on the painting table

On the painting table: Batman Miniature Game!

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Tourney time

Our modified longest night tourney was yesterday. I had a really hard time deciding on what my second list was going to be. After playing with multiple lists for multiple 'locks I decided to go back to one of my old favorites eDoomshaper. I decided to go with eDoomie due to the low model count and short timed turns this event. The two lists I packed up for today where:

Borka Kegslayer (*5pts)
* Dire Troll Mauler (9pts)
* Earthborn Dire Troll (10pts)
Greygore Boomhowler & Co. (Boomhowler and 9 Grunts) (9pts)
Krielstone Bearer and 3 Stone Scribes (3pts)
* Krielstone Stone Scribe Elder (1pts)
Stone Scribe Chronicler (2pts)
Trollkin Champion Hero (3pts)
Trollkin Champion Hero (3pts)


Reinforcements:
Swamp Troll (4pts)
Gudrun the Wanderer (3pts)

Hoarluk Doomshaper, Rage of Dhunia (*6pts)
* Troll Axer (6pts)
* Earthborn Dire Troll (10pts)
* Mulg the Ancient (12pts)
* Trollkin Runebearer (2pts)
Trollkin Champions (Leader and 2 Grunts) (6pts)
Janissa Stonetide (3pts)
Troll Whelps (2pts)


Reinforcements:
Slag Troll (6pts)
Feralgeist (1pts)


The eDoomie list is a little different than ones I have used in the past. I decided to add the champions as a bodyguard for Doomie as he can be a little squishy. I know some people want a damage buff in all lists but from my own playing I find Mulg and the EBDT don't really require one. Sure some extra damage is always nice but not essential.

The tourney really had little to do with the Longest Night at all and was more of a SR2012 beta tourney with Longest Night patches. We only had 7 guys show up and one left after the first round. I have to say some of the SR2012 scenarios seem a little odd. Many time we just ignored them and went for caster kill cause they seem convoluted and not worth doing. This may be that out play group has played so many games with SR2011 that we are stuck in our ways.

Game one was against Hammy playing pStryker. I went with my Family Reunion list. The shortened time limits in SR2012 really but the pressure on and made for a slightly contentious game. This was a little upsetting 'cause I don't get to play too often so I don't like having hard feelings, one way or the other, when I do get to play. The game used one of the new scenarios and I had a hard time wrapping my head around it so I just ignored it. Hindsight being 20/20 I actually think I had a decent list for the scenario and should have been trying to play it. The game ended up going to dice down and he won on points in his control area....truth be told he would have won on VPs too had it come to that. Well 0-1.




Next game I ran into Scudo. No matter how many people are in an event I seem to play him. If I actually get to got to Templecon I bet I get paired with him there too. He was playing an eBaldur theme list (T3) and I went with eDoomie. This scenario used the reinforcement rules which were kind of fun. The game went pretty well with my heavies putting a lot of pressure on him and Doomie staying pretty protected in the rear. I made some dumb mistakes, like I tend to do, but the game ended with my EBDT eating Baldur. I should have payed a little more attention and farmed some VPs this would come back to bite me later. I forgot to take photos of this games forces/set up. His list to the best of my recollection was the following:

Baldur the Stonesoul (*5pts)
* Megalith (11pts)
* Woldguardian (9pts)
Druids of Orboros (Leader and 5 Grunts) (7pts)
* Druid of Orboros Overseer (2pts)
Shifting Stones (2pts)
Blackclad Wayfarer (2pts)
Blackclad Wayfarer (2pts)
Lord of the Feast (4pts)
Reinforcements:
Woldwatcher (5pts)
Shifting Stones (2pts)
The last game was against LordSorrow playing Legion and an eThargosh list. I once again went eDoomie. He was able to get so quality damage on Doomie and had he not run out of time might have finished him on the feat turn. He most certainly would have made a few more moves which would have protected him a little better. Due to time running out however I had a charge lane to Thags with my EBDT with wild aggression on him. Thagrosh ended like Baldur as a snack for my EBDT.




Well we were packing up and prizes were being announced. The champion and winner of the Longest Night model was PG_Z1G1. He was the final game by going to the 4th tiebreaker and winning by 1 VP due to his 'caster having a lower point cost than his opponent. It turns out I missed third play by 6 points. I really wish I farmed those VPs in game 2. Looking back at the game I had a pretty easy 8 VPs right there when I killed Baldur...oh well. All in all a good day. If I do make it to Templecon I really need to practise these new SR2012 rule and time issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment