Currently on the painting table

On the painting table: Batman Miniature Game!

Friday, February 8, 2013

Templecon Day 2 Wrap Up

I had big plans for day two prior to heading to Templecon but those changed for me. I was expecting to play in hard core but after finishing the warcaster's dilemma tournament at 7am that morning and getting to sleep around 9am I just didn't have it in me and I actually didn't get up until 11:30 (30 min after registration).

Team Spite had two players hitting up hardcore. The first was Zack aka playing Galleon oh I mean mercs. His list was a T4 Shae pirates life. This list had a very heavy assassination focus (more on this later). The other representative was Adam aka Bloodyarcane the junior member of our crew. As I think about it Scudo may have played his Circle army in hardcore too but I cannot remember.

Round one was starting as I was getting out of the shower I received a text message from Adam say he was paired with Warmahorde super start Jake Van Meter (neutralize). I knew Adam was super pumped to play him but was afraid he was going to be a little start struck. Well turns out I was right as Jake turn two assassinated pDenny with Typhon and didn't kill a single additional model. This is important to not as the new hardcore rules have been changed for mage hunter and killing a warnoun w/o killing another models puts you at the top of the heap to win. As it turns out Zack was playing Volt Ron playing Protectorate. I was hoping to run into Volt as his blog is one of the ones I check into regularly and you can see it here http://miniarmyhugetimesink.wordpress.com/  Well it turned out that Zack got an assassination as well killing only one model in addition to the 'caster. This would have put him in great shape for mage hunter if it were not for Jake's 0 against young 'arcane.

After hearing round ones results Zack was on a mission and was "hunting that zero" the rest of the day. Round two found him a L, round three another assassination with only one model killed in addition to the 'caster. Then came round four and Zack got that zero putting him in a tie with Jake with a 0. Round five came about and saw Jake and Zack matched against each other. As long as Jake didn't throw a 0 up against Zack he was going to hold on and take home mage hunter.

Picture says 1000 words. Team Spite dun got a metal! z1g1 "sniffed out that zero!" and won mage hunter.

Those that know hardcore know the four metal categories and my personal favorite is master craftsman. Master Craftsman was won by a gentleman named Erik Lui (I believe). He painted up a stunning Gaspy3 force. I took a few photos for y'all. Behold the beauty!



The water on the back of the base was hand painted! 

 How can I not love this army he even did trolls! Cryxian trolls but trolls.


While hardcore was going on I wandered around a while once again looking at the demos and watching some of the hardcore matches. It was during this time I got a demo game in of Rivet Wars. Rivet Wars had a kickstarter going which ended Monday am around 3am. I had been watching the kickstarter pretty closely prior to heading to Templecon and when I saw they had a table set up I knew I wanted a demo. I had a fun demo with one of the cool min or not guys and when I got home late Sunday I jumped on the computer and bought into the kickstarter as a birthday present to myself. I now have another game to look forward to in September.

After my game of rivet wars I headed back to the room to grab my trolls to hit the iron arena. Last year I didn't really have a clear cut goal for iron arena points this year however I had a very specific targeted item at 45 skulls. I also wanted to try and get a game with one of the PPS guys this year. As I was just getting back down to the gaming hall Ed Bourelle was walking in with his tray and appeared to be looking for a game. I inquired as such and off to a table we went. Ed was playing a new Legion army for himself (only the second game played I believe he said) while I was playing my beloved trolls. I feel I kinda net decked him a little when I pulled Jarl out against his Saeryn list. I played:

Jarl Skuld, Devil Of Thornwood (*6pts)
* Troll Impaler (5pts)
* Dire Troll Bomber (10pts)
* Rok (11pts)
* Trollkin Runebearer (2pts)
War Wagon (9pts)
Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters (Cylena and 9 Grunts) (10pts)
Sons of Bragg (6pts)
Saxon Orrik (2pts)

I played one point down as the only one point mini I had was swamp gobbers and they aren't worth taking out of the bag against eyeless sight beasts.



Mr Bourelle's list:
Saeryn, Omen of Everblight (*5pts)
* Naga Nightlurker (5pts)
* Shredder (2pts)
* Carnivean (11pts)
* Ravagore (10pts)
* Scythean (9pts)
Blackfrost Shard (5pts)
Blighted Nyss Legionnaires (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
* Captain Farilor & Standard (3pts)
Blighted Nyss Shepherd (1pts)
Blighted Nyss Shepherd (1pts)
Succubus (2pts)
 
In game action.

The game was a ton of fun and I am really grateful that he took the time to play me. The game was a bloody mess with both forces being decimated. When I finally killed Saeryn all I had left on the table was five Nyss, an impaler with 6 life, Jarl with 4 life remaining and on fire, and Saxon with 2 life left. It is interactions like these that I feel set PP apart and really fuel my love for the game and the people developing it. I doubt he will see this but once again thank you for the game Ed and hope to play again some day!

After the completion of hardcore a group of the guys found a table and set up a game of Twilight Imperium. They played a game the night before which I watched a little. I was going to join in on this one but it looked far to complex for my current mental state plus I had those 45 arena points to track down.

Adam and John setting up

 
Adam looking tough or trying at least
 
Dave and Zack really getting into TI. The adult beverages may have helped here :)

The standard issue tournament was going on after hardcore as well. Team Spite's Oxyguy and Theprofessional Mr Cash played in this event. Les one one of the round by round drawings for not having any characters. He won a Thor blister. Unfortunately for Les this was about the only thing he won that afternoon.



While the other guys were playing TI or standard issue Abe, Nick and myself hit up the iron arena. We played a few multiplayer games on scenario tables.


Abe borrowed Nick's stormwall for this game. He played Nemo2 double stormwall. If you look at the bottom of the picture mountain king is saying bring it old man.

Nick breaking out some Skorne. 

Last game of the night we played a four player 2v2 game on a cave scenario board. At this time I was pretty shot mentally. We picked up another play to fill out the team. I forgot to write his name down and it is eluding me at this time but he was playing pSevy. We ended up losing on scenario around 4am but I got my 45th skull and hit the redemption table!
 

Here is my prize. I saw on day one they had a stack of about 10 copies of No Quarter #1. I was a little set back by the number of pts required to get one but I think it helped keep them "in stock" while i was building my points. I was very excited to see these on the prize stand as I was only missing three issues of No Quarter prior to heading to Templecon. I only need issues three and four to complete my collection.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment