Currently on the painting table

On the painting table: Batman Miniature Game!

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Sluggers Started

Started working on the sluggers Sunday afternoon. Despite Monday being my first night back to work (been off for three weeks) I was able to get some quality work done. I took about an hour on Sunday to clean off the mold lines and get these guys (and gal) ready for primer. The only issue I ran into was attaching the ammo belts where needed. The contact point for these wasn't great and I didn't have much surface area/depth to try and pin. It doesn't help that the attachment point is in a fairly tight spot and I have big sausage fingers. I fell back on a method I haven't used for some time...the green stuff and glue method. It seems to have done the trick. The addition of the little ball of green stuff held the belt in place while I moved it to the exact spot I wanted. Once I had the location locked down I gave it a little push and scraped of the excess green stuff which pushed out of the gaps.

After letting the green stuff cure it was time to beak out the air brush. I primed with my standard black Vallejo surface primer. I used the airbrush to basecoat two different section on Northblade's Grogspar and I was happy with the results. As an aside I will be posting photos of the finished Grogspar coming once I hear the mini has been delivered and Northblade has seen it in person first. I was determined to basecoat as much of the minis with the airbrush as possible. I felt even if I had some over spray this would be easily corrected and worth the time saved not having to hand brush everything. Here they are after the basecoating stage and prior to cleaning up any of the edges that had over spray issues:

I painted the pants with P3 rucksack tan (by far my favorite color for light leathers), the boots/gloves got hit with P3 bootstrap leather, the skin with my standard troll blue, and I did the green of the tartans with Vallejo Game Color Russian green. I would normally try and spray the metallic sections as well but seeing as there wasn't too much metal and I wanted to avoid metallic over spray I decided to pass on that for the time being.

I started tinkering with a 50pt family reunion list. I want to try and keep the sluggers for the first few lists and not go right to the trollkin champions. I also want to try and get the war wagon in as many of the lists as possible. Here is what I came up with the other night:

Borka Kegslayer (*5pts)
* Rok (11pts)
* Pyre Troll (5pts)
Greygore Boomhowler & Co. (Boomhowler and 9 Grunts) (9pts)
Krielstone Bearer and 5 Stone Scribes (4pts)
* Krielstone Stone Scribe Elder (1pts)
Trollkin Sluggers (Leader and 4 Grunts) (8pts)
Stone Scribe Chronicler (2pts)
Trollkin Champion Hero (3pts)
Trollkin Champion Hero (3pts)
War Wagon (9pts)

I previously mention my concern over running into heavy armor. I decided that Rok and pyre troll should be helpful to this end. I have the two damage buffs here in primal and flaming fist. I also have some fun knockdown shenanigans with the war wagon and mosh pit. This should aid the sluggers in hitting their targets. Once again I don't think this list is optimal by any stretch of the imagination but it sure looks like it could be fun. I am not sure when I will be able to grab a game again but I plan to bring this and the 35pt list from the other day to the the store and kick the tires on my unloved challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment