Currently on the painting table

On the painting table: Batman Miniature Game!

Monday, June 2, 2014

Southern Ontario Open Recap Part 1

I'm well overdue on writing this post so lets just get at it. Last weekend was the Southern Ontario Open (SOO) which was a masters event which was also a Warmachine Weekend Qualifier. The event was open to 96 players and the final count at the beginning of round one was 88 players! This is by far the largest event I have played in outside of Templecon. I have to apologize ahead of time for the lack of photos as, like usual, I got caught up in the event and forgot to take many pictures. Here are the lists I brought to the event:

Hoarluk Doomshaper (*7pts)
* Troll Axer (6pts)
* Dire Troll Mauler (9pts)
* Earthborn Dire Troll (10pts)
* Mulg the Ancient (12pts)
Krielstone Bearer and 5 Stone Scribes (4pts)
* Krielstone Stone Scribe Elder (1pts)
Trollkin Runeshapers (Leader and 2 Crew) (3pts)
Trollkin Runeshapers (Leader and 2 Crew) (3pts)
Trollkin Runeshapers (Leader and 2 Crew) (3pts)
Trollkin Runeshapers (Leader and 2 Crew) (3pts)
Janissa Stonetide (3pts)

Nothing Earthshattering here just your run of the mill tier 4 Runes of War. This is just a solid all around list and the one I probably felt most comfortable with going into the event. I'm pretty sure this was the drop if I didn't fell I knew the drop....if you follow :)


Here is the old man all ready for the Canadian invasion. I started painting him up two or three days before we were suppose to leave. He is nearly 100% finished in this photo just a couple small detail/touch ups needed. The base was re-purposed from another mini which helped save some time. 

Grissel Bloodsong, Marshal of the Kriels (*6pts)
* Troll Impaler (5pts)
* Dire Troll Bomber (10pts)
Krielstone Bearer and 5 Stone Scribes (4pts)
* Krielstone Stone Scribe Elder (1pts)
Trollkin Champions (Leader and 4 Grunts) (10pts)
* Skaldi Bonehammer (3pts)
Trollkin Warders (Leader and 4 Grunts) (8pts)
Trollkin Warders (Leader and 4 Grunts) (8pts)
Fell Caller Hero (3pts)
Feralgeist (1pts)
Trollkin Champion Hero (3pts)

My version of what MoM calls the Miserable Meat Mountain. I obviously had to drop Mulg out due to character restrictions so I opted for a ranged battle group. I was pretty happy with this list going into the event and felt pretty comfortable with its game play.

Hunters Grim (*4pts)
* Troll Impaler (5pts)
* Dire Troll Blitzer (9pts)
* Trollkin Runebearer (2pts)
Pyg Burrowers (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
Sons of Bragg (6pts)
Trollkin Scattergunners (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Trollkin Scattergunner Officer & Drummer (2pts)
Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath (9pts)
Fell Caller Hero (3pts)
Saxon Orrik (2pts)
Stone Scribe Chronicler (2pts)

This list was the one I was most unsure about and gave me the most anxiety going into the event. This is the list I was play-testing the most going into the SOO and the one that underwent multiple changes in the time leading up to our trip. I was never 100% sold on the list and I was playing with the build whenever I got a chance to think about it. Despite practicing it a fair amount of time I was running tight on the death clock every time I put it on the table which was a little concerning. I was tinkering with the list  all the way up to the time I had to submit it to the TO the day before we left for Canada. This list was going to be my Cryx drop with some Khador cross over in there. I tried to borrow some JBFlanz tech and use Dahlia and her snake but I kinda wish I just dropped her. Hindsight being 20/20 I think I would have dropped D&S and put a slag troll in the battle group and either a champ hero or kithkar to have a commander for the dygs. If I went with the kithkar I would have had a spare point for either a feralgeist, swamp gobbers, or even a sorcerer....IDK. There are parts of the list I like but just didn't get it to that sweet spot I was hoping for. I think in 9 days when Horgle hits shelves I'll drop D&S and slot Horgle and slag troll into that slot and give it some more table time.

I got out of work Friday morning at 0700 and headed home. after putting about an hours into pDoomie to get him to the photo above I grabbed a quick nap. I was heading to the SOO with three of my Team Spite brethren: Scudo (Circle), Tim AKA LordSorrow (Legion), and Nick aka Naseluk (Skorne) so after Tim got out of work I picked up the guys loaded up the mini van and hit the road. We got into Hamilton around 2130 and decided to grab dinner across the street at Buffalo Wild Wings. After some food and drinks (taste so good when it hits your lips) we decided to make a night out of it. We got back to our room at about 0300 Saturday morning. What a way to be rested for day one of a big tourney ;)

This went a little longer than anticipated so I'll get into my games in my next post. Off to bed for this guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment