Currently on the painting table

On the painting table: Batman Miniature Game!

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Templecon: Blood, Sweat, and Tiers. 2nd Thoughts

I finally got to one of our FLGS yesterday and played my first game in ~2 months. I was hoping to get two games in but alas I was only able to grab one before having to hit the road. I brought the T3 Calandra list I spoke of in my previous BS&T posts. If you don't remember the list or don't care to bounce between posts here is a reminder:

Calandra Truthsayer, Oracle of the Glimmerwood (*5pts)
* Earthborn Dire Troll (9pts)
* Earthborn Dire Troll (9pts)
* Trollkin Runebearer (2pts)
Kriel Warriors (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
* 3 Kriel Warrior Caber Thrower (3pts)
* Kriel Warrior Standard Bearer & Piper (2pts)
Pyg Burrowers (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
Fell Caller Hero (3pts)
I played against Tim who was playing his legion and pVayl. Here is his list (I think I have it right):

Vayl, Disciple of Everblight (*6pts)
* Shredder (2pts)
* Scythean (9pts)
* Seraph (8pts)
* Typhon (12pts)
Blackfrost Shard (5pts)
Spawning Vessel (Leader and 5 Grunts) (3pts)
Blighted Nyss Shepherd (1pts)
Blighted Nyss Shepherd (1pts)
We were playing a SR mission but I don't remember which one. The mission was never really going to come into play as it was forcing center engagement. The game was back and forth but felt to be in favor much of the game as he was able to rampager one of my EBDTs almost every turn and essentially take him out of play. The game was a little sloppy on both our parts mostly mine as I am really rusty but those are the breaks I suppose. I ended up losing after I thought I had an assassination fail, at the crucial time, leaving Calandra out in the breeze with no fury and for those that don't know that is no bueno sir. In all fairness the assassination was requiring slightly higher than average dice (it was her feat turn though) but the game was slipping away and I had to try.

I don't know I was a little underwhelmed with the list. I just don't love kriel warriors. I know there are people in the troll community that swear by them but they always seem to leave me a little flat. I also had a problem with them getting in the way of my dygs 'cause the full warrior load out has such a big footprint. Once again this may be to my inexperience with the unit but just not sure they are for me. I may tinker with the list some and slide back to just T3 but based on my initial test run this theme may  be hitting the shelf.

The more and more I think about the tourney they more and more I feel I am going to have to go pDoomie T4 as one of the two lists. I have been war rooming a few lists and at 35pt it seems a little cramped as I am having a hard time fitting everything in there (Mulg, EBDT, axer, and enough shapers). I have to grab the 4th unit of runeshapers and start playing with it.

I have also reexamined the eMadrak theme. I immediately dismissed it after the two units of fennblades but I am thinking about just playing it at T1. There are plenty of goodies at the T1 level and I have all the minis. I am thinking maybe something along these lines.

Madrak Ironhide, World Ender (*5pts)
* Slag Troll (6pts)
* Troll Axer (6pts)
* Trollkin Runebearer (2pts)
Trollkin Fennblades (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Trollkin Fennblade Officer & Drummer (2pts)
Trollkin Long Riders (Leader and 4 Grunts) (11pts)
Horthol, Long Rider Hero (5pts)
The list has two damage buffs between the slag animus and Madrak's blood fury. The reach on the fenns can take advantage of his feat nicely and on paper the tuffalos with eMadrak look like they can be very scary. Well lots more to play with and digest but after one game I am starting to shift my thoughts.

I am starting my work week early this week so I am not sure how much action the cave will see over the next few days. The bright side of that is I get next weekend off so I expect to be playing in a 35pt tourney at one of our FLGS. I am looking forward to this and should have some photos and coverage next weekend. Have a great weekend folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment