Currently on the painting table

On the painting table: Batman Miniature Game!

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Spending Spree/All About the Airbrush

After the disappointment of not being able to get Grim2 the other day I hit up my favorite online retailer discountgamesinc.com and made a purchase. I ordered Grim2 and a second Grim1 to paint at the same time. I picked up a second Grim1 because my Grim1 was one of the first minis in trollbloods I painted and I was curious to see the difference. I also picked up a pot of P3 paint, 2 brushes (needed synthetic brushes for oil washes and for Vallejo Liquid Gold paint), and one resin base. You may be saying not much of a spree there Nog....I will get to the rest of it in a second.

I finally got back down to the cave and splashed a little paint around. I still have little interest in traditional brush painting (not sure why) but I have been really into the airbrush. I have been watching a bunch of painting videos on the topic and just want to work with the airbrush. The first piece I have here is an old metal feral warpwolf. I know a lot of people are saying this mini is "dead" with the riphorn coming out but seeing as I have it I said might as well paint it up.  





 

At this point he is nearly all airbrushed. I did the skin with the airbrush using three colors. I basecoated with VMA sandy brown, then shaded with VMA burnt umber, and highlighted with VMA skintone. I was happy with the results for the most part but I did have some mess up. I had some airflow control issues had had some messy spray sections. One of them is on the right biceps but luckily this one is hard to see. The other is on the left triceps but not as bad as the right biceps. I then basecoated the fur with the airbrush using P3 battlefield brown. I then had to break out the real brushes and I drybrushed the fur sections using P3 bootstrap leather, beast hide, jack bone, and a little Menoth white base. I blacked out the armor plates in preperation for the metal basecoats but I stopped there. I also started basecoating a couple other minis with a two tone basecoat via the airbrush but those with wait until I get a little further along.

This love of the airbrush leads to my second and larger purchase of my spending spree. I have been looking into a second airbrush for a few months now and I finally decided to pull the trigger and buy one. I picked a Harder & Steenbeck Evolution Silverline 2 in 1. I have read good things about this brush and after talking with someone via emails my mind was set. I was considering the Badger Krome but elected to go with the H&B Evo. I also picked up a few other supplies while I was shopping online so that is that.

I am really looking forward to getting my new toys next week and hopefully my new trolls will get me back into the full swing of painting. I plan to play some games next week (most likely Friday) and I plan to test out Grim2 for the first time. I have yet again come up with another list one that I can play without having to finish ant assembly, other than Grim and the boys, prior to game day:

Grim2 (-4pts)
*Mountain King (20pts) 
*Rok (11pts)
*Runebearer (2pts)
Fennblades: full (8pts)
*UA (2pts)
Pyg Burrowers: full (6pts)
Fell Caller (3pts)
SSC (2pts)

I kinda miss not having the bone grinders in there but I really like the damage potential on nearly all the models in the list. I think mortality can go a long way to helping the mountain king reach his potential but that will remain to be seen. I am fairly comfortable in the statement that the dygs will be a terror with the potential to benefit from mortality, a fell call, and charge of the trolls. If you pull off the perfect storm these little buggers can get to mat 10, P+S 12, and P+S 18....not to shabby :)

OK thats is that for now. Have a great weekend all and hopefully next week will see a flurry of activity in the cave and a bunch of updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment