Currently on the painting table

On the painting table: Batman Miniature Game!

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Templecon: Blood, Sweat, Tiers 1st Thoughts (part 1)

Even though I am on the waiting listed for Blood, Sweat, Tiers at Templecon I have started to look at list options. Since this tourney has basic painting requirements I am trying to decide on two lists early enough so I can focus on painting anything that need to be painted so that both list are eligible. I never anticipate winning any tourney I enter at Templecon so to maximize the chances of winning something I am going to try and have one list be T4 so I am eligible for the drawings.

The first thing I need to do is look over the theme force available for selection and which of those I have a shot at reaching T4. I don't intend to make any purchases to accomplish either of these goals so barring an extenuating circumstances what I currently own are the only options. OK lets crack open the trollblood faction book and see what we have:

·         Grim Angus, Headhunters:
o   Requirements to achieve T4:
§  Dannon Blythe & Bull
§  Two or more units (D&B, scouts, and pygs are only choices)
§  Three or more warbeast (only beast w/ ranged weapons allowed)

Army list:

Grim Angus (*6pts)
* Troll Impaler (5pts)
* Dire Troll Bomber (10pts)
* Dire Troll Bomber (10pts)
Dannon Blythe & Bull (4pts)
Trollkin Scouts (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Trollkin Scouts (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Alten Ashley, Monster Hunter (2pts)
OK so the first Warlock I make a list for I break a rule I set forth in my opening statement. If I were to play this list I would have to buy a second bomber. This doesn't really bother me as I have been planning on this purchase for some time now and, to be honest, I not sure why I haven't already bought. Purchasing the second unit of scouts on the other hand....I don't know. I do kinda like this list for some reason. I know D&B aren't the best by any stretch but I like the ranged feel of the list and I like that all three units get AD.

Here is an alt list which would require no additional purchases:

Grim Angus (*6pts)
* Troll Impaler (5pts)
* Dire Troll Blitzer (9pts)
* Dire Troll Bomber (10pts)
Dannon Blythe & Bull (4pts)
Pyg Burrowers (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
Trollkin Scouts (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Alten Ashley, Monster Hunter (2pts)
The guys in my meta will tell you I love me some Dygs (they have been on the shelf a while cause other people hate 'em) but I am a little worried about fielding them in an army where the fell caller is unavailable. The only time they are going to be able to hit reliably is on the feat turn or if Grim snare guns a target. This list is all assembled and all minis are painted or in a partially painted state (meeting basic painting requirements) with the bomber, blitzer and scouts needing completion. Maybe a test game or two is in order I suppose I could proxy the other list as well.

*pBloodsong, Blood of Bragg: Don't own her. Let's move on shall we.

·         pDoomshaper, Runes of War:
o   Requirements to achieve T4
§  Janissa
§  Two or more units of runeshapers
§  Two or more dire trolls

Army list:

Hoarluk Doomshaper (*7pts)
* Earthborn Dire Troll (10pts)
* Mulg the Ancient (12pts)
Krielstone Bearer and 5 Stone Scribes (4pts)
* Krielstone Stone Scribe Elder (1pts)
Trollkin Runeshapers (Leader and 2 Crew) (3pts)
Trollkin Runeshapers (Leader and 2 Crew) (3pts)
Trollkin Runeshapers (Leader and 2 Crew) (3pts)
Trollkin Runeshapers (Leader and 2 Crew) (3pts)
Janissa Stonetide (3pts)
OK I have put together three lists and two of them break the no purchase rule. I would need to pick up one more units of runeshapers to make this happen. I know I can play it with the three units I already own but the list really seems like four is the way to go. Like the bomber the runeshapers have been on the "to buy list” just hasn't happened yet. This is (based on general consensus) the theme force to use and its stock only went up after Flanzer won masters win at Lock and Load. I have want to field this army for a long time but have been resistant. My resistance went up after it became the hotness after LnL. I'd have to paint the four units of runeshapers which will be a massive pain but maybe this is the time to get this puppy in play.....

·         eDoomshaper, Unbridled Fury:
o   Requirements to achieve T4
   §  Two or more units (scouts and champions only)
§  Ten or more whelps
§  Mulg!

I had a hard time with this list and couldn't come up with something I really liked. eDoomshaper is usually fun to play but I feel a little naked not having the axer in there for his rush goodness. There is no way I would buy a second unit of champs at this time. We know the new shield unit of champs is around the corner (next book) and I am sure we will see regular champs going plastic with new sculpts soon after (think bastions/cinerators). I suppose I could always go two min units of champs as I did pick up a second leader via PP parts order years ago but meh. eDoomshaper is one that if he gets the nod will not be going T4. IT looks doubtful for eDoomie.

·         Captain Gunnbjorn, Big Bang:
o   Requirements to achieveT4
§  Two or more units (units with ranged weapons only)
§  Two thumper crews
§  Three or more heavy warbeasts

I have wanted to play Gunnbjorn for some time now but he has never seen play. I think his theme is fun and quirky but I would have to buy some thumper crews. While I am OK with picking up a bomber, unit of runeshapers, or maybe even a second unit of scouts I am not in the market for thumpers at this time. The theme is really close to the Gunny list I want to play but I feel the lack of a few components (krielstone bearer and Rok) hurt me too much. The good Captain will have to sit this one out.

·         Borka, Drunk and Disorderly:
o   Requirements to achieve T4
§  One or more units of scouts
§  Skaldi Bonehammer
§  Two or more winter trolls

I feel the Family reunion theme, from NQ, is superior so if Borka is going to play in blood, sweat, and tiers it will not be this theme.

This has gotten a little long so I am going to cut it short after six theme forces. Next up I will go over the last six and maybe even some of the Blindwater themes.

No comments:

Post a Comment